Friday 24 May 2013

Jerry Lewis Female Comedians

Jerry Lewis Female Comedians, Jerry lewis female comedians - Ladies? Don’t make Jerry Lewis laugh. Asked who his favourite female comics were at a Cannes Film Festival press conference, the American entertainer replied Cary Grant and Burt Reynolds. He then added: “I don’t have any.”


In 1998, Lewis famously said that watching women do comedy “sets me back a bit” and that he has trouble with the notion of would-be mothers as comedians.

Asked if he had changed his mind at all because of performers like Melissa McCarthy and Sarah Silverman, the 87-year-old Lewis said of women performing broad comedy: “I can’t see women doing that. It bothers me.”

“I cannot sit and watch a lady diminish her qualities to the lowest common denominator,” he said. “I just can’t do that.”

Lewis was in Cannes for the premiere of Max Rose, a drama directed by Daniel Noah in which Lewis stars as an aging jazz musician.

In her 2011 memoir, Bossypants, Tina Fey alluded to Lewis’ attitudes about female comedians: “Whenever someone says to me, ‘Jerry Lewis says women aren’t funny,’ or ‘Christopher Hitchens says women aren’t funny,’ … Do you have anything to say to that?’

“Yes,” writes Fey. “We don’t f***ing care if you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment